Are Ventless Gas Fireplaces Safe?

If you’re planning to install ventless gas fireplace, you’ve most likely heard about the varying opinions concerning the safety of getting one for your home. Not everyone is a fan of this new type of fireplace despite the advantages offers. Keep reading below to get some valuable information about their safety and help you decide if purchasing one is ideal for your home.

How do ventless fireplaces work?

Ventless gas fireplaces are a great alternative to traditional fireplaces. They serve as an excellent source of heat in the room without requiring a vent, flue, or chimney. It runs off using natural gas or propane, which is then burned with air present in the room to keep the fire continually going.

So, are ventless gas fireplaces safe?

Generally, a basic answer to that question is that ventless gas fireplaces are safe but with ample and correct precautions. While ventless gas fireplaces produce smokeless heat, by-products are still emitted from burned gas, such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide. But, what in life doesn’t pose even the slightest trace of risk? So, what we want to imply is that this type of fireplace as long as you use it correctly.

How to use ventless gas fireplaces correctly?

If you decide to install a ventless gas fireplace, it is imperative to carefully read and follow the manufacturer’s manual to decrease potential danger. However, here are some added tips that can help maintain your safety.

  • Follow the proper placement of gas logs as directed by the manufacturer in the owner’s manual.
  • Inspect the condition of the gas logs at least once a year. Clean the logs as recommended in the manual and replace ones that have already cracked.
  • Test the ODS and CO detectors (if available) at least once a year to ensure that they’re still functioning.
  • Add extra CO detectors throughout your home. Keep in mind that carbon monoxide is tasteless and odorless. If in case of the detector embedded in your fails, you have other detectors to let you know if carbon monoxide is present in your house.
  • Keep flammables, like blankets, papers, draperies, upholstered furniture at least three feet away from your ventless gas fireplace.
  • Remind your children not to touch the surface of the fireplace as it tends to become very hot and may cause painful burns.

A Ventless gas fireplace can be an excellent addition to your home. Just make sure it correctly and it can be your great ally in keeping your home warm and cozy.